Navasana or boat pose is a balancing pose which tones the abdomen. It requires us to engage the abdomen muscles whilst balancing between the sitting bones and tail bone. This asana helps improve focus and mental clarity.
1. Start in Dandasana (staff pose).
2. Raise the arms forward, to the side and parallel to the body.
3. Bend the knees and raise the legs.
4. Straighten the legs and raise higher, keeping your spine long and chest open.
5. Engage the core and balance between the tail bone and sitting bones.
1. Keep the knees bent.
2. If raising the legs is not accessible at the moment, keep only the tip of the big toes on the mat, using some core power.
Tones the abdomen
Tones the legs
Strengthens the hips
Improves focus and concentration
Brings mental clarity
Releases nervous tension and stress
Contraindications: (consult this pose with your general medical practitioner if you have the following)
Low blood pressure