The greatest gift we can give to ourselves is self-love. Understanding the definition of unconditional love requires us to first love ourselves before we do so for others. We cannot simply comprehend what love truly feels like without experiencing it for ourselves.
One of the most important aspects of self-love is the way we speak to ourselves, that internal chatter we experience daily. It's interesting how we strive to be great friends to others, but when it comes to being our own best friend, this dynamic changes slightly. We put so much effort into creating harmonious, balanced relationships with others but when it comes to the relationship we have with our own self, we can be flakey, inconsistent and sometimes we can completely ignore this. We tend to be more tough toward ourselves, feeling shame, guilt, low self-confidence, blame etc. We sometimes think negatively about the way we look, suppress what we feel and ignore to express our own ideas to the world because we are afraid of the feedback we receive. Most of us tend to place so much focus and attention on what others think of us, that we let their perception validate our own. I think that to be completely happy we must be at peace with ourselves, to understand what we like, what we don't like; to bring unity between our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual self; to feel freedom in living from our own truth, to trust ourselves and our intuition; to follow our inner guidance and most importantly, to learn to appreciate our existence on this planet. Once we feel at peace with ourselves, we can do so with those around us which will flourish our relationships and strengthen the bonds we form with those around us. When we learn to appreciate ourselves and let go of self-judgement, we will also become more open to expressing this for other people. The power of love cannot be manifested if it is not shared and this starts from within first.
Daily affirmations are a wonderful reminder to be gentle with ourselves, to learn to be patient, kind and understanding towards our body and mind; to be more receptive of our emotional self, to let ourselves feel freely and express this with kindness and compassion for the self. I have been practicing affirmations for many years and honestly it’s a great routine to introduce into your day. The most effective way is to say these to yourself as soon as you wake up, before you get distracted by the messages, emails and social media notifications on your phone. It's also a good idea to write these down in a notebook and read them to yourself. Whatever we say to ourselves becomes part of our reality. The subconscious mind will grasp onto the thoughts we have and ideas we create in our mind and will guide us towards making these a reality. So it’s important to be wise about the kind of self-talk we create. Choosing the right affirmation for you just depends on what it is you are wanting to manifest and want to focus on so that you can create a loving relationship with you. Sit down with yourself one day and clearly identify where in life you are at right now, in this moment. What are some aspects about the way you treat yourself that you would like to change? When we become more content with our own self, everything suddenly starts to unfold in a more positive flow. This doesn’t mean that affirmations will clear all the unpleasant or unwanted experiences in your life, but they will help you find your balance from within so that you can feel more grounded and be ok with whatever comes your way. Know that you have the strength and internal power to rely on yourself and to handle anything that comes your way.
LIST OF AFFIRMATIONS
1. I honour myself completely and I respect every part of my being.
2. My existence is needed in the world.
3. I am worthy of living a beautiful life and I live every day knowing this.
4. I believe in myself, in my dreams and my passions.
5. I am a beautiful soul, and I am open to share this with others.
6. I express myself freely in life and allow others to do so without judgement.
7. I am worthy of being loved.
8. I trust, accept and love myself just the way I am in this moment.
9. I am a beautiful, unique soul and my purpose is needed in the world.
10. I am open to all the beautiful experiences that lay before me because I am worthy of experiencing these.
11. I am not perfect and that’s ok. I am who I am and this is what makes me unique.
12. I communicate my ideas clearly and I believe in them.
13. I love and appreciate my body just the way it is.
14. Today I choose to let go of judgement and simply accept myself with kindness and compassion.
15. I am learning everyday to be kind and gentle to myself, to love and appreciate all aspects of myself and to truly live as my most authentic self.