Spirulina superfood energy balls
The ultimate superfood bite sized snack to give you energy, a good source of antioxidants and power through the day!
These superfood energy balls are seriously amazing! They only have 6 ingredients, don’t require any special kitchen utensils; they are vegan and raw! I’m a big fan of superfood powders and I loved mixing some of my favourites in this delicious and nutritious snack. They are super easy to make and full of vitamins. They are great before or after a workout, or as a pick me up snack in the day.
Spirulina is rich in antioxidants, a source of protein and full of vitamins. The taste of spirulina can sometimes be too strong for some, but in these little balls you can hardly taste it because of the mixing with the other ingredients and the aromatic flavour of cardamon. Acai berry powder is also high in antioxidants and can boost energy and performance. Dried blueberries provide energy, may boost brain memory and have iron and Vitamin C. Chia seeds provide fibre and are a source of Omega-3 fatty acids, aiding digestion.
In Ayurveda, dates are considered sattvic, a wholesome, pure food as they are said to bring clarity to the mind, a joyful state and nourish the body tissues. If you have Kapha predominant dosha, dried fruits are actually ok to have, but try to get the unsweetened ones because sweet taste can increase Kapha. Also try not to indulge in too many a day because dates can feel quite heavy once eaten, which can also increase the Kapha.
Dried fruits increase Vata however when mixed with the other ingredients which support digestion, these can be ok in moderation. For Pitta dosha predominant, these are great especially as they have coconut oil which is cooling and soothing for Pitta type digestion.
If you choose to add the cardamon, in Ayurveda, it is considered an essential and widely used spice. It is known for its amazing benefits of helping with digestion, clearing out any heaviness or toxins in the stomach and the chest, and it is great for cultivating good mood, especially for stress, helping those with increased Vata. Personally, I love cardamon. I use it very often, and I really love the taste. It is very strong and aromatic.
2 cups of dates
2 tbsp of Spirulina
2 tbsp of Acai berry powder
2 tbsp dried blueberries
1 tbsp of chia seeds
1/2 tbsp of coconut oil
Add a pinch of cardamon.
1. Cut the dates in tiny pieces and place in a medium sized bowl.
2. Using a fork, start to gently mush the dates. (Be kind to the food, try not to be too rough doing this). I used a fork because it is what I had available but you can use a food processors or a small potato masher maybe.
3. Add the coconut oil and mix together.
4. Then add the Spirulina and the Acai berry powder. Mix very well together so the powder blends in with the oil and the dates. This will take a little while.
5. Add the cardamon and chia seeds and mix again.
6. Once it is all mixed well together, you can take small amounts and create the balls using your palms. Be gentle with the circular movement so they don’t break.
7. You can enjoy them straight away. Place the additional ones in a jar and keep them cool in the fridge.
Leave a Reply.
to contact miriam click here
Copyright @2016 Self-Elevation.com